I forgot the point of this post. So I’ll post it..
Hit my head a few months ago now (I keep doing that..). Ended up “recycling” my now 10 year old pc into a general purpose play-house. I will get to the QEMU and WOK soon – I promise. Just let me rant a bit about the fun parts of this build before it ended up as a virtual server.
Now, it gets interesting. I of course dug the cleaning kit, remounted and buffed the system a bit – and stuck a few additional components in it. All components needs a home ya know.
So, spec-wise it’s not the powerhouse it used to be.
Architecture: x86_64 CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit Byte Order: Little Endian CPU(s): 4 On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3 Thread(s) per core: 1 Core(s) per socket: 4 Socket(s): 1 NUMA node(s): 1 Vendor ID: GenuineIntel CPU family: 6 Model: 30 Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz Stepping: 5 CPU MHz: 1399.282 CPU max MHz: 2793.0000 CPU min MHz: 1197.0000 BogoMIPS: 5360.25 Virtualization: VT-x L1d cache: 32K L1i cache: 32K L2 cache: 256K L3 cache: 8192K NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3 Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm ida flush_l1d
Well – the cpu still can do something – after a BIOS-battle with the gigabyte P55 motherboard, it actually rocks 3.1 boosts on all cores when it wants too (note that lscpu greps cpu max without knowing boost).
Here comes the more fun part. I found tons of old drives – and just threw them in there. Ended up with a raid 5 with spinning old disks, two older SSD’s as cache-ish disks, and two additional spinning as “cache” disks as well. Since it has 16GB of ram, I do have a 4gb RAM-drive as well ;).
The fun part is the speed of using tempfs in RAM … even with this old hog;
# sync; dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=1M count=1024; sync 1024+0 records in 1024+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.407901 s, 2.6 GB/s root@cruncher:/cache4# dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024 1024+0 records in 1024+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.217579 s, 4.9 GB/s
But, I still wanted more fun. Ended up finding a new GTX 1050ti “cheap”, the results are in a previous post. Wow. The compute power in this one now *eherhm*!
# ./bandwidthTest [CUDA Bandwidth Test] - Starting... Running on... Device 0: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Quick Mode Host to Device Bandwidth, 1 Device(s) PINNED Memory Transfers Transfer Size (Bytes) Bandwidth(MB/s) 33554432 6073.5 Device to Host Bandwidth, 1 Device(s) PINNED Memory Transfers Transfer Size (Bytes) Bandwidth(MB/s) 33554432 5988.2 Device to Device Bandwidth, 1 Device(s) PINNED Memory Transfers Transfer Size (Bytes) Bandwidth(MB/s) 33554432 95273.4 Result = PASS
# ./UnifiedMemoryPerf GPU Device 0: "GeForce GTX 1050 Ti" with compute capability 6.1 Running ........................................................ Overall Time For matrixMultiplyPerf Printing Average of 20 measurements in (ms) Size_KB UMhint UMhntAs UMeasy 0Copy MemCopy CpAsync CpHpglk CpPglAs 4 0.297 0.362 0.391 0.053 0.112 0.089 0.105 0.081 16 0.262 0.422 0.542 0.123 0.156 0.127 0.181 0.116 64 0.587 0.581 0.645 0.271 0.303 0.265 0.331 0.246 256 1.241 1.245 1.474 1.222 0.849 0.935 0.742 0.888 1024 4.483 4.370 5.259 7.363 3.303 3.371 2.897 2.817 4096 18.399 17.240 20.935 51.331 16.100 15.677 14.981 15.001 16384 90.533 87.024 103.719 379.888 82.126 82.115 79.934 79.662 NOTE: The CUDA Samples are not meant for performance measurements. Results may vary when GPU Boost is enabled.
Ok ok.. So lets get down to the QEMU parts. The CPU is not rocking HT, and that’s really not that of a bad thing to be honest. But, I needed something for a virtual host running a game-server (wreckfest ;) ).
So, main host is err, ubuntu I believe. Getting QEMU in is kinda standard. New to me tho. Then I found Wok, to serve it all over web since I figured I could use it for remote access, control and just easier navigation. Guess what. One gets spoiled a bit with VMware and other setups quite quickly. Wok hasn’t been maintaned really for quite a while – the defaults assumes a bit to much of the setup and the redirects with nginx plays flipper with your request for access…